Carey M. Wright, Ed.D., State Superintendent of Education
Office of Communications & Legislative Support
Patrice Guilfoyle, APR, Director of Communications *601-359-3706 *FAX: 601-359-3033
Jean Cook, Communications Specialist *601-359-3519
For Immediate Release: April 14, 2017
MDE Announces 2nd Annual Literacy Coaching Symposium in Biloxi
JACKSON, Miss. – The Mississippi Department of Education’s Office of Elementary Education and Reading will host its second annual Literacy Coaching Symposium on June 6, 2017, in association with the 2017 Making Connections Conference at the Gulf Coast Coliseum and Convention Center in Biloxi. The symposium is a one-day pre-conference institute designed to provide a focused professional learning opportunity for K-12 literacy coaches, reading specialists, instructional coordinators, lead teachers, and administrators who work directly with teachers to support literacy instruction.
This event is designed to promote collaboration among instructional leaders and provide professional learning opportunities and resources to strengthen coaching capacity.
Nationally-renowned presenters will deliver sessions, in addition to sessions offered by MDE literacy experts. Speakers include:
- Dr. Carol Chanter, Senior Vice President, Program Professional Services at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and author of The Coaching Partnership: Tips for Improving Coach, Mentor, Teacher, and Administrator Effectiveness;
- Dr. Barbara Foorman, internationally known expert in reading with over 150 publications, Director Emeritus of the Florida Center for Reading Research, and Director of the Regional Educational Laboratory Southeast at Florida State University;
- Kevin Smith, Task LEAD for Training, Coaching, and Technical Support Projects for the Regional Educational Laboratory (REL) Southeast; and
- Michael Cormack, Chief Executive Officer of the Barksdale Reading Institute and former principal of Quitman County Elementary School,
Interactive presentations will explore:
- Creating and Leading a Culture of Coaching Partnership
- The Principal & Coach Partnership
- Evaluating Literacy Instructional Materials
- Best Practices in Literacy Instruction
- The MDE Coaching Model
- Making Early Literacy Intervention Effective
- Goal Setting: Action Planning
- Assessments: Formative, Summative, Progress Monitoring
- PLCs: Standards-Based Planning
The symposium will conclude with a panel discussion highlighting multiple perspectives on Transformational Leadership: Partnering for Change.
To register for the second annual Literacy Coaching Symposium pre-conference institute and the 2017 Making Connections Conference, visit s-resa.org. A direct link to the Literacy Coaching Symposium is also available: http://sresa.msresaservices.com/categories-conferences/events-2017-mde-literacy-symposuim-mcc-preconference-institute.