Frequently Asked Questions for Educator Licensure

Q:  How do I check the status of my application?

A: Check your application status by logging into the MS Educator Licensure Management System (ELMS) 
Click “Credentials” from the “Educator Options” menu on the left of your screen.
     Applicants will receive an e-mail notification that the license has been issued or the message may request additional necessary documentation.

Q:  How will I know if my transcript, test scores, application, etc. have been received?

A:  You may view the tests and/or names of documents received by logging into the MS Educator Licensure Management System (ELMS) 
Click “Images” and/or "Test" from the “Educator Options” menu on the left of your credentials screen.


Q:  How do I upgrade my license to a different class?

A:  You can apply to upgrade your license by paper or online application submitted through your Educator Licensure Management System (ELMS) account
     Also, please mail an official sealed transcript or contact your institution’s Registrar to request the submission of an e-script through E-Scrip Safe verifying the degree conferred.

Q:  How can I add endorsements to my license?

A:  Supplemental endorsements can be added to your license several different ways depending on the requested endorsement. The supplemental endorsement options are located in the Licensure Guidelines

Q:  I am a retired educator, and I want to keep my license current.  What do I need to do?

A:  Retired educators receiving benefits through the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) do not have to complete CEU credits or college credits. This benefit is only applicable with an expired license. All licenses expire June 30th
     On July 1st of the expiration year, contact (PERS)  and request a confirmation of retirement letter. Mail that letter to Licensure along with an application located on the Educator Licensure page. Licensure will reinstate the license for five years.

Q:  I am licensed in another state and would like to obtain a Mississippi license, how can I go about that process?

A:  Please submit the following:

  • a valid, standard out-of-state license
  • original documentation of any assessment(s) required for licensing
  • official, sealed transcripts
  • application

The application for reciprocity can be submitted online by creating an ELMS account or returning a paper application with the rest of your documents).

Q:  I received an email stating that my license has been issued, but I have not received it in the mail yet. When will it be mailed to me?

A:  We no longer send licenses to educators via postal mail. You may now access the original license online using the following steps

  • Click  ‘Licensure System (ELMS)’
  • Click  ‘License Lookup’
  • Type   only your SSN# (no spaces or dashes)
  • Click  ‘Search Educators’(see your name and link)
  • Click ‘View Virtual License’

Q:  Who is the contact for questions regarding Orientation to School Leaders (OSL) or School Executive Management Institute (SEMI) credits?

A: Please contact a member of our team at 601-359-3631 for questions related to OSLs and SEMIs.

Q: How do I request a copy of my Praxis or National Teachers Exam scores?

A: To request documentation of test scores that are no longer available for request through the testing company, you may submit a written request via postal mail to:

MDE Office of Educator Licensure

P. O. Box 771
Jackson, MS 39205

Include the following information:

  • social security number
  • date of birth
  • educator ID
  • address
  • call back number

If your Praxis scores are less than 10 years old, contact ETS Educational Testing Service at 1-800-772-9476.


Q: How do I renew my license?

A:  A Mississippi Educator license can be renewed with coursework, CEUs, or/and National Board certification achieve within the renewal cycle of the educator’s license.

  • Class A: 10 CEUs, 6 hours of coursework, or 5 CEUs and 3 hours of coursework
  • Class AA - AAAA:  5 CEUs or 3 hours of coursework

Q: How do I reinstate my license?

A:  A Mississippi Educator license can be reinstated with the following:

  • coursework (6 hours for Class A - Class AAAA)
  • a valid, out-of-state license
  • submission of retirement verification letter from PERS (for retired educators)
If an educator wants to use CEUs to reinstate a license, he or she will first need to apply for one-year reinstatement then four-year reinstatement.

Office of Educator Licensure     P.O. Box 771     Jackson, MS 39205-0771     Phone: (601) 359-3483     Fax: (601) 359-2778

Copyright © 2012 Mississippi Department of Education
Website Accessibility StatementAgency Web DisclaimerNotice of Non-Discrimination